Monday, September 3, 2007

A New Beginning

To all my dear friends at Kimkins,

Over the last several weeks I’ve been doing a lot of soul searching, researching, praying, crying, reading, and reaching to confirm and determine for myself thoughts and viewpoints that are my own. God places each of us specifically where He wants us to be at given points in time so that, unknowingly even, we can have tremendous impact on this world. Such a time came for me when I discovered Kimkins.

I was at a point of desperation that many if not most of you know all too well. I had lost control of my life and my eating habits. I was centered in a lifestyle that served me. I ate what I wanted because it felt good. I turned to food as a comfort and a friend when I should have been looking up. I titled my blog when it began “My Total Transformation” because I truly believed that is what the Lord was going to be doing through me. And it has been.

I do not and have not ever denied that Kimkins worked for me. I was elated that it worked. FAST! I followed the plan to the letter, measuring weighing, counting carbs, proteins, fats, and yes even calories. The quick loss just fueled my motivation to want more. The compliments flew at me as quickly as the pounds were flying off and my head swelled. People were noticing me and I wasn’t hiding any longer. People liked what they saw when they saw me. For those of you who have struggled for so long like I have, you know what an amazing feeling that must be. But, what was I doing? Really? Had I traded one selfish obsession for another?

My reasoning was that because the program was working so fast that it had to be good. Never having low carb dieted before I never even considered doing “research” and blindly accepted the first thing that sounded reasonable to me. After all, we’ve all been raised that Low Fat is good, and now Low Carb is the way to go to really get those pounds off. But, I also have discovered that I believe there is a certain order to the way that God created our bodies to function. He would not create something for us that was not healthy. After all… didn’t He look at His creation and say “IT IS GOOD.” So while I do agree and whole heartedly support that there is everything to be said for protein sources to be lean, and eating fresh vegetables, there is also something to the fact that God created things like whole grains and fruit for our bodies as well. However, I saw those things as a short term sacrifice for a long term gain. But sacrifice at what cost?

I must confess to you at this time that I did have some side effects of my drastic weight loss. Neither one was of concern to my doctors and were reasoned out and treated. But, I feel as if I do not disclose them to you, it would not be honest. My hair began falling out the month before I began maintenance. I upped my biotin intake to no avail. Becoming concerned I started asking different stylists and they recommended a certain scalp treatment which after increasing my biotin levels even further seem to have stopped my hair loss. The other side effect I had due to the loss of estrogen was a loss of my monthly cycle for about 5 months. Again, this has been corrected by my doctor and is no longer of concern.

My time with Kimkins was filled with love, support, encouragement, and most of all friends. I love you all dearly and I hope at this time you can accept my reasons for needing to move on, some of which are my own. I want to encourage you all though. Do not let my leaving discourage your weight loss efforts. Many, many of you have told me that I inspired you and showed you that there is hope that you can lose weight and finally have a chance at a “normal” life. This doesn’t have to change. Please continue in your journey, however, I do want you to be safe. Please make sure you run your eating plan by your doctor. Show him your menus and guidelines. Just because you are eating low carb does not mean starving yourself. Your body does have certain needs which for your health you cannot ignore. Low carb does not mean high fat. It does not mean no fat either, though. Really look at how I inspired you. It was your heart, the way you view weight loss. I showed you that it is possible, but YOU have done the rest. You made up your mind and determined that this would be your time. It still is. Don’t lose hope, you can make a better healthier life for yourself.

God brought Kimkins into my life at just the right time. He taught so much from my time there, things that are good that I had never known or forgotten. Portion control, learning to listen to my body, and the phenomenal strength there comes in numbers are just a few of the amazing things that I discovered during my journey. Believe me when I tell you that God has used each of you to touch my life in a way I never dreamed possible. I know that with each of your support maintaining my weight loss is not just a pipe dream, but a reality.

Weight loss maintenance is not about the program. It is about the person. True maintenance begins in your heart. Learn to listen to your body and feed it what you know is good for you. Know what will only take you back down the path that you do not want to go.

There is so much more to say, but I do not feel this is the time or place.

I am not leaving my friends. Please do continue to contact me through my blog here, and via email. I would love to speak with you. This is not the end…. But a bright new beginning. I have so many things that God is working in my heart to share with you all. I am excited and joyful over what He is going to accomplish in my life. I will eventually find a new home to begin posting on again, but for now, I am going to take some valuable reflection time with my family and a time to discover all that He is bringing to me. I look forward to a new journey with all of you!

I love you all,

Christin

27 comments:

Deni said...

Love you girl! Friends Forever. :) I know that the BEST thing that happened to me was our friendship. :)

Jimmy Moore said...

You are a very special woman, Christin, and I am proud of you for all that you have accomplished. Keep on inspiring others with your success and giving God the glory for it!

Becky said...

I was coming here to say the same thing Deni already said. I love you, friend! The best thing about the whole experience for me has been the people I have met and the relationships we have made. You are a treasure in my life.

Brighter days are ahead for all of us.

Christin said...

Thank you all so much. You are true friends. Leaving was not and easy decision as you Becky and Deni have said. I do truly value the things that I learned through Kimkins. God has a specific purpose for all of us though, and I am certain that He is using each of our individual experiences for His glory. Jimmy - thank you so much for your support and encouragement both spiritually and through promoting good health all around. God bless all of you my friends! Love, Christin

Jt said...

Even though you don't know me, I've followed your posts and blogs (and you've even answered some of my questions). I'm glad you are following your conscience. I am sorry if you have experienced any pain or loss, but you are definitely a leader.

Cutie said...

i couldn't say it better than what's already been said...you are a very special woman...i'm very glad that God allowed our paths to cross and that i got to know you...and yes, brighter days are ahead, my friend! *HUGS*

with much love,
amy

~kp said...

Bless you Christin in all that you do! You are a true inspiration to all!

Jane said...

Looking at the four faces on these comments I was struck by just what a big part you each played in my own weight loss. I joined Kimkins after reading WW and successfully lost 30 pounds. Thank you for your help then and thank you for your help now. I think each of you will probably help many more with your decision to leave. God bless you with your continued journey!

Unknown said...

Hey sweetie, & this is for Deni and Becky too..

I am hoping to see a place we can all gather together again...
(other that heaven right now...LOL)

Maybe within the trio, someone will have a lightbulb moment!

If you know what I mean...
I wish you all the best, you have so inspired me ...Susan (Osuz)

Vickie said...

Christin, I admire your honesty, integrity and willingness to be vulnerable in all of this. You truly are an inspiration in so many ways.

~kp said...

God Bless you Christin! You are supported and loved by many!

Mayberryfan said...

At almost 3 months on Kimkins, I was originally inspired by your story to think that finally I could be successful at losing weight. That said, I hate to see you go, but I am so thankful to you for your help and guidance so far. I won't quit LC dieting, but I also won't forget to listen to my body and do what is right for me. All the very best to you!
Celeste

theTRUTH said...

Christin,
I have waited for this moment since Becky left, and I applaud your sense of moral purpose, and your integrity. I had strong suspicions, but I couldn't voice them. You all had to plan your exits. I'll reveal myself and exit too, but I too have friends to reach first. Congratulations on your new beginning!

jimzgrl said...

Christin, although I have never met you, I am thankful to God that he brought you through this without harming your health permanently. May God be with you in the coming days/weeks as I am sure you will feel the backlash from those who don't agree with you. Don't listen to them, continue to hear God leading you in the right direction.
Blessings to you,
Kathy

Lynne said...

Wow, the "best of the best" and all in one place!!!

You folks are all the reasons for MY success.

I am sure I will see you around.

oakdryad said...

Christin, I'm sorry you felt you needed to leave, but I respect your decision and your integrity. I'll miss your enthusiasm and your kindness to others who were struggling.

I look forward to seeing how your journey progresses and hopefully learning skills that will help me in my journey.

blessings always,
cynthia

Sue said...

Thanks Christin for letting us know about the side-effects that you had. Best wishes.

leaveme alone said...

You have been an inspiration to me in my weight loss, and in your helpful advice about maintenance. I will continue to follow your blog, and will look forward to following your maintenance journey. I respect your honesty, and know that you made the right decision for yourself. I hope that you will let us know where you find your knew home.

Anonymous said...

Christin,

I am truly happy you seem to have found some peace. I will miss reading posts from you, Deni, Becky, Amy and others. I have learned so much from all of you. I will continue to pray that He leads all of us to this place of peace He has lead you.

Boo

Julie said...

Christin,

You remain an inspiration not only for your weight loss success but most of all for your honesty, integrity, candor and dignity. Here's to new beginnings.

Best wishes,
Julie

Kristy said...

Hi Christin,

I think that a lot of people at KK are sad you are gone, however it was your right to do so and I respect your decision. Goodluck on the next step in your life.

All the best and much love, Kristy

Losing Jusme said...

i hope you have continued HEALTHY success.

Terry said...

Christin,
I was so sorry to see you, Deni and Becky go (from Kimkins). I respect you had to do what you needed. I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for all the kindness and support you showed to everyone.

Terry

Amy Dungan said...

Wishing you all the best Christin!

Unknown said...

Christin - thank you for your blog. I will continue to follow it. You've been an inspiration to me since the WW story, and I joined Kimkins after buying the magazine and reading about you and Deni. Thank you so much for not just disappearing like littlebit did and for instead letting us know you were leaving and why. I will continue to follow your journey and wish you the best! Sincerely: soon2bslim - aka Kelly

keliri said...

Christin,
I met you at the Plano, TX meet-up- I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful person you are- you were such an inspiration for me! I am sad that you have left Kimkins, but I totally understand your need to do so. I hope we can still keep in touch. I wish you and your family well- and I really do understand your need to follow the Lord's will.
Love, Rita

A Friend said...

Hi Christin..

I heard about your hair loss and thought if you needed more help with that issue I would tell you what had worked for me... I take 5000 mcg of biotin and when it was at its worse I used Rogaine for Women (the walmart brand will do) Even though it says that if you stop using it your hair loss will continue that doesn't apply here. That is only for people that have male or female pattern baldness and since this is a dietary issue the loss will not resume when you stop using it. I am sure upping your calories will also help you. You take care and remember you have alot of friends in your corner.. even if you don't know them.